Humewood Golf Club - News Letter
COURSE MAINTENANCE FOR OCTOBER 2018!
The Links Course - Maintenance
With summer here, the course maintenance schedule steadily gets more for our staff. The recent rains have transformed most areas that were struggling through the drought. Stephen has listed below several maintenance programs he is busy with:
- Dusting of greens on a Monday will become more regular to help reduce the chances of dollar spots, it will also firm up the greens and reduce the thatching.
- Poa (winter grass) is very apparent on and surrounding our greens. We unfortunately won’t be able to kill all of it as this will lead to enormous patches on our greens. The only option we have is to retard the growth by spraying chemicals to prevent the seed head from germinating. Poa can, and is being managed very effectively, with the greens still running very true.
- Work on the 5th bunker is delayed due to the availability of a TLB. In the mean time course staff will start by removing the big boulders from the sand and the biddum is being prepared for installation. This is time consuming operation and we ask for your patience in this regard
- We have noticed some areas of clover growing on the fairways. This will be treated in the coming days. Please take note of our signs warning you when spraying is in progress, the chemicals are not fit for human consumption and we therefore take great care in reducing any contact with golfers.
Special offer for New members enrolling now!
WANT TO BECOME A NEW MEMBER AT HUMEWOOD GOLF CLUB?
WHY NOT SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR 2019 MEMBERSHIP AND
ENJOY 4 MONTHS FREE FOR 2018!
OCTOBER COURSE SCHEDULE!
October is 'Golf Day' month at Humewood Golf Club, with golf days taking place 2-3 times a week. Please familiarize yourself with the schedule for the next 2 weeks to see when we are available for social play. If anyone would like to book a tee time, please call the Pro- Shop at 041-583-2137.
Results from Grand Club Event
Here are the 'Results' from the last Grand Club Event
- RANDS IN - LES HARTY +- R500
- Attendance - PETER De KLERK R1000
- GRAND CLUB - DEREK SHARWOOD R1000
- LADIES LUCKY DRAWS:-
- JUDY HAVEMANN
- ROMANA LAWENCE
- JAVEL Du TOIT
- NEXT GRAND CLUB DRAW WORTH R3000 "IF PRESENT"
EH V/D LINDEN BROKERS - MEDAL WINNERS
Winners of the medal competition held on Saturday 6th October and sponsored by
EH V/D LINDEN BROKERS.
CLUB CHAMPIONSHIPS UPDATE
This past weekend we held our annual qualifying rounds for the club championship with a total of 51 members participating in the various divisions. Both A and B division players had to play 36 holes strokeplay to qualify for the top 8 spots whereas the C division players only had to play 18 holes.
The first round of strokeplay was played on Saturday afternoon and the second round played Sunday morning. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the following players for having the best gross scores per division:
- A-division strokeplay champion-Mike Holden with scores of 72 and 73.
- B-division strokeplay champion-Alan Lones with scores of 86 and 81.
- C-division strokeplay champion was Gary Bergesen with a gross score of 87.
Sunday afternoon saw the quarter-final round of matchplay knockout played for each division and it is nice to see that some of our accomplished (old timers) members showing the younger guys how it is done!
- In the A-division Mike Holden beat Denzil Atkins, Keith Simpson beat Dave Wakeford, Francois van Coppenhagen beat Doc de Kock and Robbie Adair beat Ronan Nortje.
- In the B-division Pierre Goosen beat Alan Lones, John Black beat Gavin Hogg, Mark Viviers beat Robbie Barnard and Wian Breedt beat Willie Fouche.
- The C-division Gary Bergesen beat Colin Broadley, Zak Limbada beat John Skinner, Mike Lawrence beat Cecil Melville and Lee Hill beat Lyle Ferreira.
The semi-final rounds will be played Saturday the 13th of October in the morning. Herewith are the players meeting in the next round:
- A-division: Mike Holden vs Robbie Adair - Francois van Coppenhagen vs Keith Simpson
- B-division: Pierre Goosen vs Wian Breedt - Mark Viviers vs John Black.
- C-division: Gary Bergesen vs Lee Hill - Mike Lawrence vs Zak Limbada.
Once again we would just like to thank everyone that participated and good luck to the remaining players.